Just like the other organs of our body, the skin is also made of several cells. Skin cells like any other organ cells require water to function properly. Some of the benefits of water to the skin include:
1. Water is essential to maintain the optimum skin moisture and deliver important and essential nutrients to the skin cells. It replenishes and refreshes the skin tissue and increases its elasticity. This helps delay the appearance of signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines.
2. Water is a perfect replacement for your expensive anti-ageing treatments. It keeps the skin well hydrated and glistening, thereby, enhancing the complexion.For soft and supple skin, drinking an adequate amount of water is more important than applying topical creams.
3. Drinking enough water helps to combats skin disorders like psoriasis, wrinkles and eczema. It also increases the metabolic rate and improves digestive system to flush out toxins from the body. This in turn gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
4. A nice cold shower and a relaxing bath calm the nerves and reduce the stress related damage to the skin. Soak your entire body in cold water for 2 to 3 minutes to rejuvenate the skin. Remember, long exposure of the skin to water can strip off the natural oils, so don’t stretch your bathing or shower duration.
5. Cold water bath eliminates redness of the skin and sets the skin up for better makeup application. After opening the pores by washing them with warm water, you can seal them by splashing with cold water. Cold water tightens the pores and prevents them from getting clogged. It reduces the appearance of acne.
6. A cold water compress can also help to reduce under-eye inflammation. As the water evaporates from the skin, the surface becomes cooler. Splashing cold water on the eyes can also reduce eye puffiness. There are plenty of water-rich eye gels which you can use for a long-term solution.
7. In earlier times, people in Eastern Europe would visit bathhouses to detoxify and tighten the skin. The process involves a steam-room session, followed by a cool water plunge to tighten the skin.
- To do water therapy at home, soak a washcloth in steaming hot water, and then lay it on your face.
- For the “plunge”, splash your face with cold water for around 15 times. This therapy invigorates and tightens the skin.