There is no specific trigger to migraine, as different people have different trigger. Migraine trigger can be environmental factors, flickering lights, very strong perfumes, weather changes and certain food just to mention a few.
The triggers listed below may not be the exact trigger for everybody. Each individual have their own trigger. My advice is that every individual should take note of what condition or pattern causes or triggers migraine so as to know how to combat it. The most common triggers known to people but not limited to include;
Stress is the first and the most common migraine trigger known to people. Shock, worries, anxiety and emotional instances can lead to migraine. It is said that people who suffer from migraine are thought to be highly emotional. Also, migraine can be triggered from a week’s job that is full of stress which can cause a weekend headache.
Migraine is said to be triggered during female menstrual cycle. Some women may experience this trigger during or before menstruation and or during ovulation. Also women tend to experience migraine as they near menopause because reduction in their estrogen level.
Triggers from Food:
There are lots of food but every individual food trigger is different. Below are few list of food triggers;
- Alcohol including red wine and beer.
- Broad beans, lima beans, fava beans, snow.
- Sour cream.
- Marinated, pickled, or fermented food.
- Foods that contain nitrites or nitrates such as bacon and hot dogs or MSG such as seasoned salt,
soy sauce, meat tenderizers,
- Nuts, peanut butter.
- Excessive amounts of caffeinated beverages such as tea, coffee, or cola.
- Figs, raisins, papayas, avocados, red plums, peas and Citrus fruits.
- Ripened cheeses such as cheddar, Stilton, Camembert, and Brie.
- Sourdough bread
The environment in which we find ourselves can be challenging for people as very strong perfume in supermarkets, stores, school, offices and open spaces can trigger migraine. Also sunlight rays, reflection or flashes and flickering light from movie screen in a cinema can trigger migraine.